Government spokesman says money transfer found in Rakhine Singapore Association members case

03 August 2019
Government spokesman says money transfer found in Rakhine Singapore Association members case
Myanmar's government spokesman Zaw Htay. Photo: EPA

Myanmar Government spokesman Zaw Htay said that investigators found money transfers in the case of Rakhine Singapore Association members who are detained for alleged links with the Arakan Army (AA).

“We asked police about this case. Their two-week remand will be over on August 9. Police found money transfers when investigating them,” Zaw Htay said at a press briefing held on August 2 at the Presidential Palace in Nay Pyi Taw.

But he did not disclose further details on these money transfers.

Some of these leaders of Rakhine Singapore Association were remanded with cases registered under the Anti-terror Law and they are still under investigation stage and not put on trial at this point.

“The Police Force is pursuing this case in accordance with the law. You can ask questions to the accused when they are produced before the court. The Police are prosecuting the accused after asking for legal advice from the public prosecutor,” Zaw Htay said.

Nine people are being detained as the accused in this case and top leaders of this Rakhine Singapore Associaiton namely Aung Myat Kyaw, Tun Aye and Hein Zaw have had registered cases against them under sections 52(a)(b) and (c) of Anti-terror Law. And the remaining accused namely Ye Kyaw Htet, Aye Myat Mon, Tin Hlaing Oo, Aung Myo Win, Shwe Hlaing Than and taxi driver Myat Lin Oo were registered under sections 52(b) and (c) of same Anti-terror Law.

Family members of the accused have not been allowed to meet the accused since their arrest and they do not know their whereabouts.

The Home Ministry of the Singapore government detained and then deported them to Myanmar for their alleged role in financing and giving support to the Arakan Army which is declared by Myanmar government as a terrorist organization. Then the Myanmar government arrested them after they arrived in Yangon.